Eligibility and Room Usage | Hours | Equipment | Materials Available for Purchase | Equipment Reservations | Learning and Training | Policies | FAQ
BPL Makerspace Mission
For people interested in DIY, crafting, and making, the BPL Makerspace is a place where you can gather to work on projects while sharing ideas, equipment, and knowledge. We've designed a space suitable for learning, crafting, and collaborating.
Makerspace Eligibility and Room Usage
Bloomingdale Public Library (BPL) cardholders (ages 12-adult) are welcome to use the Makerspace. If you're a Bloomingdale resident who would like to use the Makerspace, you can apply for a library card at the Circulation Desk. Minors 17 years and younger need a parent/guardian present to apply.
Waiver Requirement: BPL cardholders and guests must fill out a waiver before using the Makerspace. For minors 17 years and younger, a parent or legal guardian must fill out the waiver. Waivers will be kept on file.
- Adult Waiver
- Minor Waiver
Guests: BPL cardholders may bring a max of 2 guests. Guests do not need a BPL library card.
Age Limits: The Makerspace is open to Bloomingdale Public Library cardholders ages 12-adult. Children 11 years and younger are allowed to use the Makerspace when supervised at all times by a BPL cardholder.
Availability: The Makerspace is available to the Bloomingdale Public Library cardholders during Open Use Time hours. Hours are subject to change.
The Makerspace is not available for group reservations, group projects, or meeting room bookings.
Room Capacity: During Open Use Time, 15 patrons max are allowed in the room at a time.
Due to limited room capacity, patrons may be asked to leave the Makerspace if they are not using equipment or working on a project.
Makerspace Hours - Open Use Time
Open Use Time
- Thursday - 5:00 - 8:00 p.m.
- Saturday - Noon - 4:00 p.m.
On holidays when the library is closed, the Makerspace is also closed. During the following annual events, the Makerspace will be closed:
- Ice Cream Social - Thursday, August 4, 2022
- Halloween Party - Saturday in October 2022 TBA
See our Makerspace Equipment page for a full list of available equipment and equipment status.
Materials Available For Purchase - Price List
The BPL Makerspace is free to use for Bloomingdale Public Library cardholders. Some equipment requires a cost for materials. We encourage you to bring in your own materials to create your projects.
The library sells a limited supply of materials. Only cash accepted. Material availability is not guaranteed; prices are subject to change. The Library does not offer refunds for materials used or for any remnants.
- 3D printer filament: 10¢/gram
- Book binding combs (3/8" size, max 55 sheets of paper): 5¢/comb
- Button maker - 1.5" or 2.25" button sets: 10¢/set
- Cardstock paper: 5¢/sheet
- Paper: 5¢/sheet
- Sewing machines thread: 25¢/session (black and white colors only)
- Transfer tape (if purchased separately from vinyl): 2¢/inch (max cut length of 5 feet/60 inches)
- Vinyl (heat transfer vinyl/HTV - black and white colors only): 65¢/sheet (12" x 10" sheet)
- Vinyl (indoor/removable): 10¢/inch (transfer tape included, max cut length of 5 feet/60 inches)
Makerspace Equipment Reservations
Equipment reservations are recommended. Walk-ins during Open Use Time are welcome, but equipment availability is not guaranteed.
- Reservation limit of 2 hours per day max.
- Limit one reservation allowed per day.
- Reservation requests can be made up to 7 days in advance.
- All reservation requests are on a first-come, first-served basis.
To make a reservation, first check our Makerspace Equipment Calendar for equipment availability. If the equipment is not reserved, please call the Adult Reference Desk at 630-924-2730 to make a reservation. Please have the following ready:
- Your full name
- Your Bloomingdale Public Library card number
- Equipment you want to reserve
- Preferred date(s)/time(s)
Makerspace Learning and Training
Patrons are responsible for preparing their designs/projects and using the equipment/software. To learn more about our Makerspace equipment, please use the the following:
- Check out our Equipment User Guides.
- CreativeBug - Thousands of award-winning art and craft video classes taught by recognized design experts and artists. Recommended for DIYers, crafters, and makers. Bloomingdale Public Library card required.
- Hobbies and Crafts Reference Center - How-to instructions and creative ideas from leading hobby and craft magazines. Bloomingdale Public Library card required.
- LinkedIn Learning - Offers video tutorials on photography skills and related software. Bloomingdale Public Library card required.
- Book-A-Maker appointment - If you'd like to learn how to use a specific piece of equipment, please set up a Book-A-Maker appointment through our online form. SAME DAY OR NEXT DAY APPOINTMENTS MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE. Please allow at least 2 business days for a reply.
- During Open Use Time, library staff will have varying levels of expertise with the Makerspace equipment and software. Please note that help may be limited, and some staff members are unable to assist with specific Makerspace equipment or software.
See our Makerspace Policies page for a full list of rules and policies.
See our Makerspace FAQ page for frequently asked questions.