BPL is now offering 3D print services to the community! Submit your files and and we'll print out your creation for a small fee.
What is 3D Printing?
3D printing is the process of taking a digital design file and turning it into a 3D object. In recent years, 3D printers have become available for public use; you do not need to be a professional engineer to make your creations come to life. Both amateurs and professionals can create their own designs, or download them from the internet, and print out the 3D object. Bloomingdale Public Library owns two 3D printers, and we use plastic PLA filament to print out your 3D designs. The PLA filament is an environmentally safe, biodegradable plastic.
How Does the 3D Printer Work?
Our 3D printers take the file of your 3D object and use plastic filament to print it. The printer turns your file into a tangible object by slicing it into many separate layers. It then prints the object to the build plate, layer by layer, until the print is complete. The 3D printer uses plastic filament to print your objects by melting the plastic down until it is malleable and then squeezes it out of the print nozzle. Prints can take several minutes or even hours to complete depending on the size and detail of the file.
Can I Use the Printers?
The 3D printers are open to all library users and are not limited to Bloomingdale patrons. 3D Print Club for Teens begins in July 2017.
Ready to print? Submit your 3D print request. Please check the 3D print specs below before submitting.
3D Print Specs
- Printers available: Dremel Idea Builder 3D40 and a Makerbot Replicator 5th Generation
- File types accepted: .stl or .obj
- Print colors: Filament color choices are available on the 3D print request form
- File names: Before uploading, name your print file as your full name and the color of filament. (Example: John Thompson True Black.stl) If you're submitting multiple files, please number your files. (Example: 01 John Thompson Cool Grey, 02 John Thompson Cool Grey, etc.)
- Maximum size of the object: 10" x 6" x 6.7" (254mm x 152.4mm x 170.18mm)
- Maximum print time: 8 hours
- Cost: 50 cents per half hour of printing
- Payment: Cash only
- Pick up and pay for your item at the Adult Reference Desk
- You will not be charged for failed prints
- Prints will be processed in the order that they're received
- Staff will contact you within one week to confirm your file submission, your estimated print cost, and estimated print time.
- Please allow up to 2-3 weeks for prints to be completed
How Do I Get Started?
Try out the following free sites to get started!
Makerbot’s Thingiverse - Thingiverse has user created .stl and .obj files ready for download and printing. If you'd like to make changes to a file, download a design and then upload it to your Tinkercad account.
Selva3D - Selva3D takes 2D .jpeg or .png files and turns them into 3D images. This works best with images that are pure black and white.
Questions about 3D Printing? Contact us at email@example.com.